Subject: [Leica] IMG: a couple images and thoughts
From: philippe.amard at tele2.fr (Philippe AMARD)
Date: Fri Dec 12 07:00:17 2008

George, I've just discovered it.
I like the self half portrait of the artist as a curious mind and eye.
The window at the back is also a bonus to the composition.

I also read Barthes quote about private/public.
I'm not sure I can agree with his claim.
Historians might tell us that privacy is a very late invention I guess.
The lower classes didn't use to have any - and the highest classes were
born, had their meals and died in public.
And if you look at painting, from the Flamish 'interior' painters to the
English landscape masters,
they've always had, in part, a social funtion as 'describers' of the
public private value of their sponsors, i.e. representation.
So, in the end, I don't know if Barthes was right on that one.
Yet the book - I guess it is La Chambre Claire - is fantastic.

Amiti?s
Philippe
.