Subject: [Leica] Re: Summaron
From: sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner)
Date: Thu Dec 11 06:53:57 2008

Larry, I'm afraid this is just wrong. The only similarities between the 2,8
and 3,5 Summarons is that both have six glasses (elements) and both were
produced by Leitz.  :-)   The contrast difference is very significant. Put
their images side-by-side and there is no comparison. The degree of
improvement lessens slightly as the lenses are stopped down. Not the least
of the reasons for the dramatic improvement in optical performance of the
2,8 is the introduction of Leitz' new lanthanum glass (LaK9) that so
dramatically improved the contrast and resolution across the image of the
1956 Rigid and DR Summicrons. I understand Mark's reasons for staying with
the 3,5 - it produces images he likes and is very economical - but candidly
the 3,5 is only a collector's lens today.

Respectfully,

Seth