Subject: [Leica] Negatives aren't turning out right. Or how I want them, at least...
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue Dec 9 07:52:22 2008

>already explained the problem in the description of my flickr
>photos, so please click the following links for the problem:
>
>http://flickr.com/photos/helloyama/3093611810/
>http://flickr.com/photos/helloyama/3092808595/
>http://flickr.com/photos/helloyama/3093649582/

It's hard to tell without having the negatives in front of me or the
untouched scans, but it looks like too much exposure and too much
agitation. Do the darkest parts of the photo have density? Ie, do the
parts of the picture that are supposed to be black have any silver on
the negative?

I tend to like negatives that are more on the thin side overall,
especially for scanning. The 'glow' that you get around dark objects
indicates overdevelopment, or in your case, probably overagitation.

I like more dilute developers generally, and agitate no more than 5
seconds at a time except at the beginning, when I agitate slowly but
deliberately for 30 seconds.

Take a range of exposures, then develop them with less agitation and
see if any of the exposures get closer to what you like.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design