Subject: [Leica] Anybody use the 1.5/50mm Nokton on an M8?
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Mon Dec 8 11:44:17 2008

At 11:42 AM -0700 12/8/08, Steve Barbour wrote:
>On Dec 8, 2008, at 8:40 AM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
>
>>  Steve, in the context of other lenses and systems, I have seen
>>statements on the Olympus and Canon fora to the effect that some
>>lenses exhibit quite different characteristics depending on the
>>capture medium. Why that would be the case I have no idea, but I
>>have seen enough comments to that effect to consider it valid.
>

>seems bizarre Nathn, wishful thinking on the part of those reporting it...
>

>it's hard to think of an earthly reason why, especially with regard to
>bokeh,
>

>Steve

I posted this under a more appropriate topic, but I guess I shouldn't
have tried that. :-(

In any case, these are my thoughts on the matter:

----------------------------

I've also noticed that some lenses seem to perform relatively better
on digital than film. I have a thin 90 Tele-Elmarit which I always
liked in the sense that I enjoyed the handling and made a lot of
images with that I was happy with. They were often not as good
technically (from a lens point of view) as pictures I made with
'better' lenses, but they were successful. Now, on the M8, even the
technical quality is really quite good and I'm very happy that I
didn't get rid of it.

On the other hand, the 90 AA that I bought when it came out and sold
last year, which able to make outstandingly sharp and contrasty
images with really no discernable faults, in the end got sold because
I was not able to make many images with it that I liked. So my fast
'longer' lens remains the 75 Summilux, and when speed isn't needed,
da-di-da, it's the 90 T-E for me.

I think this has to to with the MTF performance relative to the
sensor pitch. If the performance of the lens is such that the shape
of the transfer function corresponds quite closely to what the
specific sensor would like to see with an optimum anti-alias filter
in place, the performance will be seen as very good, even though with
a finer pitch sensor or film the performance will not be as good as a
lens that can produce the same contrast at a higher frequency.

As far as 'bokeh' is concerned, and that was Nathan's question, I
don't find the difference in performance between digital and film
that great. The main difference is that caused by the angle of view
and the effect that has on the relative size of out-of-focus blobs
etc at a given distance. In that respect the Nokton is still
extremely unappealing.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design