Subject: [Leica] M-lenses on M8
From: sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner)
Date: Tue Dec 9 06:33:25 2008

Hello General Peter,

Thanks for your reply. I've been promoted Vice-admiral and expect to assume
command on board U.S.S. Pinafore just after the turn of the year.

If I go M8, I think it likely that the 35/2,8 Summaron will be my most-used
lens of choice unless it turns out not to function well on the camera. My
guess is that it will. Len's comments referred to the 35/3,5 Summaron, a
lens well-known for lower contrast. Optikos Corporation, then in Cambridge
Mass., now in Wakefield, ran optical bench tests of the 2,8 Summaron vs. the
8-glass and the pre-ASPH 35 Summicrons for an article I wrote for VIEWFINDER
(Vol 37, No 4). On-axis the contrast of the Summaron was better than both
Summicrons at all stops from f/2,8 through f/8; at 12mm off-axis (the near
edge) Summaron contrast was better than the 8-glass at all those stops,
better than the pre-ASPH at f/4 but somewhat inferior at the other stops. At
18mm off-axis (the far edge), the Summaron was inferior to both Summicrons
at all stops. The Summaron's resolution was very close to that of both
Summicrons on-axis and better than both at 12mm. Again its resolution fell
off at 18mm. The fall-off in performance at 18mm is undoubtedly due to the
field curvature that Leitz lens designers accepted as the price for enhanced
correction of other optical aberrations, that resulted in the truly splendid
performance of this lens (VIEWFINDER
Editor Bill Rosauer's title: The 35mm f/2,8 SUMMARON: Legendary Lens?)

The Summaron's performance at the (18mm) far edge doesn't matter at all on
an M8 for if I understand correctly, on the M8 effectively 12mm becomes the
far edge since the sensor isn't full frame. Coupled with the ability of the
M8's sensor to capture in very low light, the Summaron's lack of speed/big
aperture also doesn't matter. Perhaps this is why prices of Summarons have
strengthened dramatically on eBay.

Again, thanks.

Seth