Subject: [Leica] M-lenses on M8
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon Dec 8 23:17:19 2008

Seth:

Great to see you here.  I can likewise vouch for the Rigid on the M8.  I
have a DR, which as you know is the same lens.  After some hemming and
hawing, I had DAG grind down the close-focus part of the cam so I could use
it on the M8.  No regrets--it has the same "it" quality on the M8 that it
did on film:  Smooth transitions, very nice fine detail, and a little bleed
of bright highlights into adjacent dark areas that gave a little "glow" to
the proceedings.

On the M8, 50mm has a marked short telephoto quality, but I find myself
using it fairly often. Here are a few DR/M8 shots:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/L1004685-w.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/L1004642Crop-w.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/L1004637-w.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/L1004636-w.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/L1004621JimGreenGesture-w.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/L1004626Darkside-w.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/L1004596StretchBW-w.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/L1004603ChowShibaBW-w.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/L1004593TheaterBW-w.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/L1004594PinknBlue-w.jpg.html>

And as with film, you'll usually want to keep bright light sources out of
the frame  :-)
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/L1004610Crabby-w.jpg.html>

I have a 90mm Elmarit, but on the M8 I've only shot test pictures of soup
cans and cereal boxes with it to test focus.  They look about like what it
looked like on film--a bit dreamy at f/2.8, nice portrait quality at f/4,
and tack-sharp at f/8.

 From what I've heard, 90mm lenses are the most difficult to get right on
the M8.  The M8's tighter tolerances are amplified by the relatively long
focal length. My 90mm Elmarit's focus is significantly off on the M8. For
outdoors, I have been using a CV 90/3.5 Lanthar that focuses perfectly.  On
the M8, a 90 is more like a 135mm is with film.  It's great for distant
scenics, but for 4-15 feet away, you might find a 50 or a 75 more to your
liking.

I have no experience with the 35/2.8 Summaron.

I believe you are, like me, a 50mm kind of guy with film, so you may find
that you are a 35mm kind of guy with the M8.  If that's the case, you might
want to pick up a non-aspheric 35mm Summicron. That might very well become
your normal lens on the M8, if as Len says, the Summaron doesn't have quite
enough contrast.

Hope this helps.
--"Major General" Peter

Replies: Reply from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Lluis Ripoll) ([Leica] M-lenses on M8)