Subject: [Leica] Golf club life
From: kenlass at gate.net (Ken Lassiter)
Date: Tue Nov 11 06:00:22 2008

We chose our house on a golf course. We enjoy the green view and open
space behind the house. It is so peaceful especially in late afternoons
and early evenings. We get golf balls in the yard and on the patio
regularly.  We knew it would happen. One day I picked up 3 golf balls in
the yard within a 1 meter circle -- all marked identically. That fellow
needs lessons.

For anyone considering golf course life. it matters where you are along
the course. Houses near the tee seldom get any balls. Houses near the
green never get hit. Houses 50 to 100 yards from the tee get the most
hits from the bad golfers.  Also, we get a lot more hits on weekends
when the duffers are out.  Our house is about about 75 yards from the
tee. We get hit but the houses a little further from the tee get a lot
more. The golf course does not have any insurance to cover broken
windows or other damages. We are on our own. We get hit by the bad
slices; the irony is that we live on Hook Lane!

Before Hurricane Wilma in 2005, we had a large screen enclosure over our
patio and pool.  (The whole structure collapsed in the 125 mph winds. We
decided not to replace it.) On day I was cleaning the pool and noticed a
golf ball in the pool. That means it had to come through the screen.
Sure enough, I found one small hole in the screen high overhead.  About
a week later, I discovered another ball in the pool. "Oh, no," I
thought. "Not another hole in my screen."  There was no second hole.
Some lucky bloke got a "Hole in One" and never knew it!

We have a basket of golf balls in the den that are free to anyone. Most
are new and have been hit only once. Come and help yourself but we don't
ask me to deliver.

Ken Lassiter, Boynton Beach, Florida