Subject: [Leica] M8 in the cold
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Nov 8 08:47:25 2008

Alastair Firkin offered:

Subject: RE: [Leica] M8 in the cold

Great advice: I wonder how big I should buy the parka for the DMR R9 280
F2.8 Combo? ;-) Could get some odd looks!!! Who is that pregnant
bloke?<<<<<<<

Hi Alastair,

You should be really careful under those conditions, as some female walrus
may take a liking to what looks like you have tucked inside. ;-) And you
never know where it may lead to on one of those cold frigid nights on an ice
flow! :-)

When shooting the Winter Olympics I don't recall having any extra covering
for the 280 2.8 and the R whatever version they were. And the extra R and M
cameras were inside the parka. But the camera on the monopod always
functioned without any problems. I always had extra batteries or cases when
we were at a stand down point between races I'd take the battery case out of
the motor and put it in an internal pocket right next to my body to keep
them warm.

I think keeping the cameras working comes down to common sense in
understanding if you're shooting in cold weather, carrying extra batteries
is an absolute must, the more the better.

The spares always inside and warm from body heat ready to use if things
begin to slow down.

I know some guys had a kind of battery operated warming blanket which I
never found out where they came from. :-(

ted