Subject: [Leica] Off Topic - Prostate
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Sat Nov 8 08:35:44 2008

On Nov 6, 2008, at 4:09 PM, Alastair Firkin wrote:

> Don,
> I am 52 going on 53 and agonised over having my PSA done. What to do
> if it was up? Its NOT an easy question. Having worked in Medicine
> for 29 years and having come from a family where my father was a
> medico, the only advice I would give you is find someone you trust,
> and follow their suggestions. I would seek opinions from a couple of
> Urologists who do not have an interest in surgery, I would ask the
> questions you have expressed, I would listen and decide  --- do I
> feel comfortable and confident in the answers, do I understand this
> person, do they understand me. If the answers were yes, I would
> follow them and give my trust to their suggestions. I cannot say it
> enough: you really need to trust anyone who is looking after your
> health.
>
> I have a very good friend you was recently diagnosed with highly
> agressive prostate cancer. He too is a radiologist, and he too found
> someone he can listen to and is listening to him.
>
> I hope this helps. Good luck and best wishes: one big advantage you
> have over your father is that treatments including surgery have
> improved greatly in recent years.

I agree with Alastair...
let me add (as a guy, not as a doctor, cus I don't care for people
with  this disease) that at least occult findings of prostate cancer
are incredibly common, even in completely asymptomatic men, on
autopsy, after other causes of death...(like 30-50% at 50 years and
80% in 70 year olds...)

the recommendations are diverse and some feel that routine ! testing
by PSA, not only is controversial, but leads to more harm than
good...so some recomend not doing PSA's routinely,  in people without
symptoms...

some prostate ca is slow and benign, others are aggressive...

if you have symptoms attibutable to prostate Ca, that's another story,
here the approaches while diverse are generally aggressive.

Steve