Subject: [Leica] Hello. new member and some photos
From: leica at web-options.com (Bob W)
Date: Wed Nov 5 18:46:20 2008

 > Hello.
>
> I'm a new member and I must admit I'm joining to learn more -
> not to share as I don't HAVE a Leica yet.
> I'm hoping to buy either an M3 or, in the case that a huge
> bag of gold would fall in front of me, an MP.
>
> I am using a Contax IIIa with a Sonnar 50/1.5 lens as my
> primary camera and like it a lot but I must admit that I much
> prefer the pure handling of the Leica M-class cameras.
>
> In anyway, attached are two photos taken with the Contax. I
> take photos almost exclusively hand-held, as opened-up as I
> can and often in dim light so the rangefinder have served me
> well so far at least.
>

> Looking forward to learning a lot here.
> Adam

There were no pictures attached - possibly stripped off by the list software.

You might also consider an M2. Depending on particular versions it is just as
useful as an M3. Many people seem to prefer them, and from the stripped-down
purism point of view that's understandable. The MP, as beautiful as it is,
doesn't seem to give you that much over an M3 - a choice of framelines and
viewfinder magnification, and a lightmeter. With the M3 you also get the
history
and satisfaction of knowing which great photographers of the past have also
used
them, and enough money left over to have it serviced.

I have an M3 and an M4-2. I considered selling them both and buying an MP so
that I retained one film camera, but on reflection I decided I would rather
have
the history and purism of the M3, so I will just sell the M4-2 and buy a
lens.

The Contax IIIa is a classic. Bob Capa used one at the end of his life, I
believe.

Bob