Subject: [Leica] digital analog comparison
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Nov 3 20:40:37 2008

Alastair Firkin wrote:

> Doug,
> could you re-enlighten me on the settings
> you use with the DMR for your wildlife work?

Typically I use ISO 400 with -1 exposure compensation, but that's really
just a starting point or for when chimping is impractical.  More often I'll
review the histograms of the first few exposures to be sure I'm not clipping
any highlights, and to set the exposure so the histogram is as far to the
right as possible w/o clipping.  I have the display set up to highlight
clipped pixels.

> Also, any comments about what to do with the files:
> should I keep them as the big 20meg files

Yes.  I use Imacon Flexcolor so I can't comment on C1 or LR.

> Any hints on handling? Boy just typing this
> is making me keen to "get out there".

Minimum acceptable shutter speeds will vary from one person to the next,
from one day to the next, and from one situation to the next.  On dry land
with the 560, shoulder stock & monopod, I try to stick with 1/125 sec or
faster but this isn't a strict rule.  I've gone slower to 1/60 sec, and if
I'm in a hurry or the critter is moving 1/125 sec will be too slow.  In the
kayak I often use 1/3000 sec because EVERYTHING is moving: the bird is
swimming on ripples that are making it bob up & down, the kayak is being
pushed laterally and turning from the slightest breeze, plus the kayak is
rolling slightly, bobbing out of sync with the bird, and its roll angle
changes as I turn to follow the bird.

With the 280mm lens on dry land with shoulder stock & monopod 1/60 sec is
often fine (subject motion permitting) and when I have something solid to
lean against 1/15 sec sometimes works too.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com