Subject: [Leica] A Rea; Text Question
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun Nov 2 12:30:44 2008

An amusing side note to "texting."  The abbreviations used are often very
similar to ones used by old-time telegraph operators, which are still in
use today by amateur radio operators ("Radiosport" for you Europeans) who
use Morse code.  They involved omitting vowels or using "sound alikes" to
shorten and lessen the number of dots and dashes in words, using acronyms,
and substituting internationally-known telegrapher's sets numbers or
three-letter groups  for common phrases, and such.  This became a quasi
"language" which enabled operators from different countries to carry on
rudimentary conversations.  For example:

         SRI OM VY QRM PSE AGN? HW? K

Which means roughly, Sorry "old man" (a friendly term used among mostly
male telegraph operators) there's a lot of interference (VY QRM), would you
please repeat your last transmission?  How are you receiving me?  Go ahead.

Back in the 80s and 90s, there was a major flamefest over whether the
examinations for amateur radio licenses should continue to include a Morse
code test. (They've since been abolished). Long-time Morse Code operators
and traditionalists said yes, (often) younger people who were oriented
towards more advanced digital communications techniques said no.  The
younger people would often parody the traditional abbreviations to ridicule
the older group.

Then online chat and texting over your cell phone comes along, and what do
you know?  The young texters quickly developed their own set of
abbreviations, for much the same reason--efficient use of the medium.  And
it became its own subculture, and is, like, totally cool.

http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/textmessageabbreviations.asp#l

OMG GTG L8RG8R!
--Peter

Replies: Reply from hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter) ([Leica] A Rea; Text Question)