Subject: [Leica] R10 news
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Sat Nov 1 10:29:21 2008

Doug,
I disagree - they are well on the way. Look at the new Nikon zooms - 14-24,
24-70 and the 200-400 - I have no experience with Canon. Leica make great
lenses, but don't sell many, and it wont change whatever happens. I am sure
the Nikon D3 with the 200-400 would do wonders for your bird photography. It
makes no sense to be blind to the demerits of a brand - by all means shoot
what you want, but keep your mind open to reality. IMHO the number of bird
photographers using the DMR can be counted on the fingers of one hand, and
there must be a reason for it - otherwise it would be the equipment of
choice for them. If it is the benchmark, I dont see it used as such by any
reviewer of cameras. Therefore in the real world, except for a few of us in
this list, who have the interest and the time, it is really irrelevant.
BTW, the only magazine I saw the M8 recommended (as a must buy toy, like the
Iphone) is Esquire or GQ, I forget which - if Leica has to survive on sales
to the general readership of those magazines, they are gone. To most of the
inhabitants of the world, cameras are discretionary purchases, and I expect
sales to really go down everywhere with the present crisis, especially at
the top end of the market. C,N & S will survive that, but what about Leica?
I will make a prediction that one of the Japanese companies, probably
Matsushita, will buy them within the next 3 years.
Cheers
Jayanand