Subject: [Leica] R10 news
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Oct 30 07:55:32 2008

Vick Ko wrote:

> Your advice is good, except for this new electronic age, where
> depreciation of the electronic camera is astronomical and product
> lifetime is 3~5 years.
>
> i.e. when I bought an M5 new, I knew it would hold its value, for
> decades.  When I bought my M8 new, well, you all know what happened.
> Bought in January at $4500, sold at $3300 in Sept (9 months later).

The economics of digital cameras isn't the same as for a film camera
because the high initial cost of the digital camera offsets the cost of
consumables.  Even considering the higher rate of depreciation of the
digital camera, it's more economical in the long run for those who make
lots of pictures.  Also, buying new and selling used means you're not
buying and selling the same item.  How much was the 9-month depreciation of
the M5, new to used?

I've been using the DMR for 2.5 years now and even if its resale value were
zero (it's far from it) I'd be very happy with the purchase not only for
the avoided cost of consumables but more importantly for the quality of the
results.  I'll gladly pay for this kind of quality output again.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

mail2web LIVE ? Free email based on Microsoft? Exchange technology -
http://link.mail2web.com/LIVE

Replies: Reply from vick.ko at sympatico.ca (Vick Ko) ([Leica] R10 news)