Subject: [Leica] euro vs dollar and leica
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Mon Oct 27 23:57:55 2008

I've read many of the comparisons, and not only from hybrid oriented sites.

As I mentioned, the fuel economy achieved depends a lot on where and
how you drive. Whether or not you get a payback depends on how many
miles you drive per year, and how close the Prius comes to being the
type of car you want/need/enjoy. I'm very familiar with the Prius, as
I get to drive one at various times every year. I mention the Prius
as it's the only one that is truly in the running, as the other
hybrids are definitely not economically sound buys unless you
_really_ drive a lot of miles.

I'm also quite familiar with the use of Priuses as taxis here in
Vancouver, where there are quite a few including the one mentioned in
the article below.

The upcharge of $4500 may apply, depending on what type of car you
compare it to. It's rather lower than my calculations, but even at
that a good diesel car would still be a lot better buy under almost
all circumstances. The $4500 is more than most owners will get paid
back over the term of their ownership, based on average mileage per
year, fuel costs and average length of ownership.

The total life cycle carbon footprint is not in favour of the hybrid,
either compared a good diesel. On the other hand, the Prius is a far
better choice both on a practical level and certainly on an
ecological and 'feel good' level than the choice that most people in
North America make. It's a big step in the right direction.

--

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] euro vs dollar and leica)
Reply from gregj_lorenzo at hotmail.com (Greg Lorenzo) ([Leica] euro vs dollar and leica)
Reply from rsphotoimages at comcast.net (rsphoto's email) ([Leica] euro vs dollar and leica)