Subject: [Leica] Olympus Pen Ft
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sun Oct 26 15:54:05 2008

Douglas B,
There are several factors there, I think.
You are scanning half of a 35mm frame
You have used a high speed and very grainy film
The light is soft, lower and low contrast
The featureless sky will always emphasise grain
Scanning BW film can emphasise the grain as well.
You can't use any grain reducing software on scanned BW film (not the CN
emulsions)
Scanning with a flatbed cannot capture as much range as a dedicated scanner
anyway.

I think that you are expecting too much from the little camera in those
circumstances.
I've never tried any half-frame. I bought two of the more modern Olympus
35mm compacts with the fixed 35mm lens (for my kids to learn with), as I
thought the lens would be better than a little zoom. I was very
disappointed. In the 70's I sold hundreds of the classic Trip 35 and I don't
remember anyone being disappointed in the results quality. Maybe my memory
has faded.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/
Maike Harbets speaks on the S2. .... So we will drop down this technology to
our other systems.
Our priority is to modernise the R system which will be in the end an R10,
definitely.