Subject: [Leica] Palo Alto Control, we have a possible solution and an alternative
From: leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Thu Oct 16 11:28:08 2008

Jeff

It's true greylisting may delay some mails sometimes, which can be annoying
especially when you expect an order confirm of an online transaction or
similar. I often whitelist such a domain before I order (takes me a few
seconds). On the other side, as developer/programmer, I spent lots of
overtime to keep all online forms and eshop mail confirm scrips and alike
updated for greylisting.

But I think for a list server like the LUG greylisting might make sense, as
the LUG members mail adresses could be whitelisted easily.

I did not understand Brian well if the spam goes to "lug@leica-users.org"
(which could easily be killed with greylisting), or if these spam attacks
were attempts to hijack the mailserver as sender of spam (where gerylisting
wouldn't help). But I believe it's the first as he said

>"(By 'avalanche' I mean 30,000 spams arriving in a 45-minute period)."

Didier

Message from john.nebel at csdco.com (John Nebel) ([Leica] Palo Alto Control, we have a possible solution and an alternative)
Message from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] Palo Alto Control, we have a possible solution and an alternative)
Message from jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore) ([Leica] Palo Alto Control, we have a possible solution and an alternative)