Subject: [Leica] Palo Alto Control, we have a possible solution and an alternative
From: hartzell at alerce.com (George Hartzell)
Date: Fri Oct 17 09:33:22 2008

Jeff Moore writes:
 > [...]
 > Other folk I know (including the guy who's letting me glom of his
 > servers for my email domain) are trying the usual stuff, with the usual
 > consequences: miscellaneous blacklists (which sometimes turf email from
 > people I'd like to hear from); greylisting (where email from someone who
 > hasn't yet successfully gotten mail through is rejected "try again
 > later", on the theory that real MTAs do this properly but inject-and-run
 > spam senders don't; this seems pretty effective, but leads to unexpected
 > delays, generally right when I'm waiting for that vendor web-account
 > password reminder or confirmation email).

It's true that greylisting has the downsides that you described.  But
after several years of day to day use, I've found that those problems
are fewer and farther between than I expected and often easy to work
around.  E.g. password reminders, if it doesn't get through
immediately wait a minute (that's my greylist window), request another
reminder, and that one will generally sail right through.  Sometimes
things do get delayed though, e.g. receipts from places I've never
done business with before.

Sqlgrey (the greylist tool I use with postfix) even has support for
downloading whitelists from a well known source, so popular things
that might cause trouble are automatically handled.

Even with it's downsides, given the realities of today's spam
saturated Internet, it's easily the most effective tool in my spam
toolkit.

g.