Subject: [Leica] Trying to catch up
From: Jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway)
Date: Sun Sep 28 10:37:45 2008

Ted:

You might be right.  ;-)

More often than not, a good composition has one place, (usually not in
the center) which catches the viewer's eye and then brings it on a
little trip through the whole of the image, and finally returns the eye
to the starting point.

Here that place is the point where the curving branch on the right meets
the trunk of the sapling. That branch then leads the eye down to the
bottom right corner of the image where it can leave the photo... I
agree, that's not good.

Otherwise the eye moves along the bottom, climbs the right side area,
traverses the leaves across the top, and again meets the smooth
background on the right side.

I took a second shot with more DOF, but decided on the softer background
of this image.

I don't think of you as a "smart ass", so to answer your very fair
question, I shot it because the lighting caught my eye and I was
enamored of the soft colors and the atmosphere.

Thanks for looking and for commenting.

Jim, "I might be right" Hemenway  ;-)