Subject: [Leica] a serious question
From: jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman)
Date: Thu Sep 25 12:34:16 2008

Sometimes it isn't just money.

At this stage of the game, even with the temporary impecuniousness from a
house purchase, I could well afford an M7 in today's (barely) used market.

However, sometimes Leica isn't the solution. My Bessa R2a has some major
advantages:
1. It seems much lighter than the Leica.  My neck doesn't hurt at the end of
a day's shooting. I had to get special padded neck straps for my M2/M3s,
lest I wind up at the chiropractor. They were still heavy.
2. The metal shutter is roast-proof.  Having a $400+ shutter repair and CLA
bill for a Leica isn't much fun (I've been there with an M2).  I can put the
Bessa down without going into a panic over a lens cap (or throwing a coat
over the seat.)  However, the Bessa shutter isn't as incredibly quiet as the
M7 shutter.

I'll add that the Bessa is NOT a Leica by any stretch of the
imagination--the workmanship doesn't even come close. I also wish it had a
1.25 eyepiece magnifier, similar to Leica's.

I've been using the camera much, much more often than my old M2/M3 combo,
and as a result it's been around to snap some very interesting pictures.  I
find that smaller is the difference between using a camera and leaving it at
home.

Of course, it accepts all my great Leica lenses. It's also made me fall in
love with my 35 Summicron, in a way that my M2 never did.

And it's the perfect companion in the waning days of Kodachrome.  Just
bought another ten rolls the other day--and I feel a bit like Rhett Butler
signing up before Appomattox.

Jim Shulman
Wynnewood, PA