Subject: [Leica] will you ever buy another leica body?
From: lists at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary)
Date: Thu Sep 25 10:50:11 2008

Mark,

I'd run, not walk, but run, away from any camera Leica labels as a
demo.  Back in the R8 days I bought an R8 demo.  It was a TOTAL POS.  I
sent it back 4 or 5 times to Leica and they never fixed it, failed me
while on shoots numerous times.  I finally got so pissed I that when
they sent m a new replacement I sold all my Leica R gear and went Canon
EOS.  Glad I did now as I love their digitals.

Anyway in the course of talking with Leica at that time I was told (by
someone at Leica NJ) that Demo does NOT mean a camera used as a demo to
show people the camera is stores or at trade shows as I assumed DEMO
meant...no it could also mean a camera returned for whatever reason,
including problems, that they "fix" and resell.  The initial R8s had
some electronic problems, and we all know the initial M8s had
problems...knowing what I know now I'd be afraid I'd get a "repaired"
M8...and if they fix it as good as they did my R8 then well......

To me if it was sent in and "fixed" it outta be labeled as a refurb not
Demo.

Oh and I am NOT trying to reopen the whole "Is the M8 any good" thread.
I think that is all in the past and as I said a little while ago I am
seriously thinking about getting an M8 at some point.

--
Harrison McClary
Harrison McClary Photography

Replies: Reply from mark.teampope at ntlworld.com (Mark Pope) ([Leica] will you ever buy another leica body?)