Subject: [Leica] a serious question
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Thu Sep 25 06:25:03 2008

Reality check

On Sep 25, 2008, at 1:45 AM, Philip Forrest wrote:
> Because there is no logical reason that a manual focus 50mm lens
> should
> cost $5000.

I suspect that if you saw the balance sheets for: amortizing R&D,
materials and labor in production, reasonable profit, marketing
costs, dealer markups et al - the logical reality would become clear
to you.

> Most other Leica lenses cost upwards of $3k as well for
> modern optics.

False: 90 Macro Elmar, 50 Summicron, 24 Elmarit R all $2,000; 28
Elmarit, asph $1,800; Summarit line $1,300 - $1500

> This is why they continue to be able to play on the
> world market with companies like Canon and Nikon.

So something's working - your point?

> Leica's M8 may be
> nice but it's only 1/3 the camera that an EOS 5D is,

As an owner of both; in my subjective opinion - the M8 "is" 3 times
better than the 5D - because it delivers more fine detail, dynamic
range and useable shadow detail.

> and for the price
> of the M8, you can get the EOS with a lens.

or 4 Canon Rebels; or 250 Holgas; or a used car; or a fine watch; or
a hundred good watches; or a terrific bicycle; or 4 really nice
bicycles; or or or

> I can go on & on. I love
> the film bodies, love the old lenses, will never afford the new ones
> and probably have no reason to anyways.

Leica, new in sealed box, has always cost the most, because they've
always been a small company making terrific, high quality products in
small quantities (with some exceptions). Nothing new about that. Why
diss them for what they have always been and continue to be?

> As long as Leica continues to cater to its core constituency with
> making innovations for the next generation, they will always be on the
> rocks.

On the rocks? This week they seem to be afloat, cruising beautifully
around a very large harbor; welcoming stunned guests aboard.

Fond regards,
George

george@imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com