Subject: [Leica] R10 in development
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Sep 22 20:40:58 2008

red735i@earthlink.net wrote:

> Let's not get too excited, yet.  Lens vignetting can be caused by at least
> 2 sources...
> one is that the image circle of the optical lens design will not cover the
> required
> sensor to the required "accuracy".  the second is that the internal
> anti-reflection
> dampers limit the image circle.  In a well designed lens, the
> anti-reflection dampers
> purposefully limit the image circle so that you do not get internal
> reflections,
> limiting contrast.

I think you really mean 'limiting flare'.

>  ( the last Hasselblad lenses had an update that did precisely this.  The
> CFi lenses
> are CF lenses with improved internal dampening.)
>
> Until we are TOLD which lenses would work, you can do your own
> estimation, calculation, or guess.  But no parties, until the final words
> come from Solms.

This is all idle speculation on my part, but it's interesting to note that
many of the recent R lenses are designed to replace the mount quickly and
easily... they're the lenses with ten screws appearing to hold the bayonet
flange in place.  Take four of the screws out and the flange and aperture
ring come off as a unit.  How much it would take to incorporate electronic
aperture control circuitry in a replacement unit is anyone's guess.  The
only moving interface between the aperture ring/flange unit and the rest of
the lens is the lever to stop down the diaphragm.  A quick mount unit change
and the aperture of manual-focus R lenses can be controlled electronically.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com