Subject: [Leica] A new set of photos
From: johnbeeching at gmail.com (John Beeching)
Date: Mon Sep 15 04:47:31 2008

Dear All,

I just meant to show a few photos to friends, not start a bar-room brawl!
Ted is right, I am not my best editor, in fact few of us are.  We get too
close and too involved with our work.  Though going through film rather than
digital probably ensures that there is more time for reflection.  In many
ways it is that reflection, that coming back and looking at a picture next
morning, that is so useful in editing.  Even more so to me is showing them
to others in order to elicit their comments; this is what I am doing here.
Often I then say "yes, she is right, that photo should be cut" or "he hasn't
a clue what I'm up to"; my response can depend on how arrogant or lacking in
confidence I'm feeling that day.  I also sympathise with Ted's view on "art"
photography - if a photo requires a psychoanalytical explanation it is a
crap shot.  Certainly, when I encounter a website of "fine art photography"
if makes me want to label mine "crude fart snaps".  On the other hand,
especially in street photography where you have to work instinctively, the
unconscious does play a role and you can see ideas emerging from the
pictures after you develop them.  Here, in this set of photos, there is,  a
theme of homosexuality in several of them that I was unaware of when I took
them.  But perhaps I am reading too much into them!

However, thank you all for your comments.

To stir things up: I can speak not only English but French, Spanish and
Catalan!

John

--
John Beeching