Subject: [Leica] A new set of photos
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Sep 14 21:33:42 2008

Ric Carter offered:

Subject: Re: [Leica] A new set of photos

>>I don't know about, Luis, but I'll tell you what I like about it.

It's an Easter basket of faces with eyes all diverted from not only the
camera, but also each other. If one would like to wax artsy BS about what
that says about society in today's world, I suppose one could do that. On
first blush, I just find it a pleasant capture of the world.<<<<<

Hi Ric,

Gee you sure read a lot into the exposure. It just didn't do anything for me
other than an exposure of faces. I suppose some folks read all kinds of
things into street photography. Unfortunately I don't!

It's either there right in your face smack dab illustrating a fine moment of
a quick shooters ability. If that doesn't happen then usually the shot is
merely an exposure missed.

>>>It has a wedge composition that I find pleasing. From one face on the
right, it radiates toward the left, expanding into similar expressions
pointed in differing directions.<<<

Now that's quite an analysis. Some people can do this kind of thing with
almost any exposure. I'm always amazed at what the "Art Crowd people" read
into some of my medical photographs in the published books.

I "see eyes" of the nurse, that's it period. "Art person" can go into a
description of the design and composition of the photograph way beyond what
the triggering photo moment was, "The eyes!" But then they never mention
that aspect because they don't see as a photojournalist of people.  But they
sure as heck can do as you've done with a mega analysis.

>>>Why is Luis's expression of appreciation without explanation less valid
than a condemnation without explanation?<<<<

I merely asked him what he saw that he liked. You're the one going into all
the details. I didn't condemn the shot, it just didn't do anything for me
compared to many of the others. So I was curious to find out what he liked
and made his comment. Quite simple really.

>>"I like" is a matter of personal taste. If you are prepared to argue  "No,
you don't," help yourself, but you cannot win that one.<<<

I don't have a problem with anyone making a comment "I like it." However I
see absolutely nothing wrong with asking the question.. "What is it that you
like?" You might consider I was trying to learn something by his comment.
Quite simple again and non-condemning.

photo. Sometimes, they don't even know. Knowing that someone appreciates the
image is still a reinforcement and at least a bit educational to the
photographer.<<<<<

You are right most people don't go into a great diatribe explanation of why
or why not about pictures. And what did I just say? I was trying to learn
something and you haven't given me credit that may have been the case.

much about your taste as John's photos. Luis's comments say the same.<<<<

No I didn't say I didn't care for the collection, the over all series is
very well done and I'm giving John credit as a fine street shooter as we've
seen in the past on many occasions. My comment and I still stand on it. I
think he needed to be a touch more ruthless in his edit. Hey, we all are our
own worse editors! You may not think so, that's your privilege.

>>>Could the collection have been more strictly edited. Of course. But, then
I may have missed some of the ones I like best.<<<

Once again your prerogative. But this conversation is hardly worth noting in
the reality of editing. Again here is my earlier comment in answer to Luis
"I like" remark.

On Sep 14, 2008, at 5:52 PM, Ted Grant wrote:

>Why? I feel there are several others far superior to this >which didn't do
a thing for me. So mon ami, why do you like this one and what does it have.
That makes you like it?<<<

See Ric, all I did was ask a simple question in that maybe I'd learn
something from a fellow photographer. Better luck next time.

Cheers,

ted

Replies: Reply from johnbeeching at gmail.com (John Beeching) ([Leica] A new set of photos)
Reply from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Lluis Ripoll) ([Leica] A new set of photos)