Subject: Drowning men - was Re: [Leica] Surprises at Photokina
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Sep 14 19:17:49 2008

But I think people want f1 or f.95 for its ability to isolate a subject as
much as for reaching inside shadows. Really more so the former.
Its not needed for reaching inside shadows anymore as this can be done with
a cheap slow zoom with cropped formats.
But the cropped format make it more hard to isolate subjects like was so
much the style before digital in the 90's.

If your normal lens is a 28 or 35 then f 2.8 is not going isolate much of
anything. Your still getting most of everything in focus.
So those  new  wide 1.4's will be of some use in old M8 cameras.
While our mouth waters over what it would be like to use them with full
24x36 formats.

As interesting to see what a compact Leica lens would be designed for the
cropped format I don't think at this point we'll ever see it.
And I never bought the fact that the 28 Summicron was made for cropped
format.

mark@rabinergroup.com
Mark William Rabiner