Subject: [Leica] Getting into printing.. need advice?
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Sat Sep 6 17:03:46 2008

I have both the 23 and 67 (well, I had the 67 dichro but gave it away the
other day).  The 23 is a condenser enlarger.  Both the 23 and 67 will take
up to 6x7cm negs.  A condenser head enlarger emphasizes grain and contrast,
good to some, not good to others.  A dichro or cold-light enlarger gives
more smooth tonality.  I am selling or giving away all my darkroom equipment
presently, but if I were starting now, I would get an enlarger with a
variable contrast head designed for b&w (assuming that you are not printing
color, another subject entirely).  And, the best enlarging lens you can
afford, in your case two, one for 35mm and one for MF.  There are all kinds
of accessories needed, levels to align the enlarger, grain focusers, easels,
print washers, and so forth.  You can probably buy all this stuff for very
low prices presently.  I have two enlargers left that are going out on the
curb if I can't find takers.  The one I used the most was an Omega 4x5 with
negative carriers down to 35mm, a cold-light head and a Metrolux feedback
timer.

Given the present technology, I would rather be staked out in a bed of
starving ants than go back in the darkroom.  But, if that is your thing I
would recommend Ansel Adams' book, "The Print".  BTW "Grade 5" refers to the
contrast range of graded printing papers.  They range from grade 1 to 5.
Variable contrast papers use filters or a variable contrast head to do that
with a VC paper.

Ken