Subject: [Leica] IMG: Tree Details
From: jhnichols at bellsouth.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Fri Sep 5 16:50:32 2008

Several viewers commented on the "nice" tree that I recently removed from my
backyard.  While I don't usually want to burden the lists with details, I
don't want people to think I remove trees without good cause. The three
images below show the problems that caught me by surprise, and led to the
decision to remove the tree.

The top of the tree, when viewed from ground level, did not appear to have
problems.  There were some dead lower branches that needed to be removed.
When the experienced tree surgeon viewed the upper fork from the bucket, he
found a serious weakness.

>From the ground:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Damaged+Fork.tif.html

After cutting the damaged branch:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Split+Branch.tif.html

The upper portion of the trunk, as well as the base of the tree, were hollow:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Stump.tif.html

Since it was close to the house, I feel safer now.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

Replies: Reply from glehrer at san.rr.com (Jerry Lehrer) ([Leica] IMG: Tree Details)
Reply from kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney) ([Leica] IMG: Tree Details)