Subject: [Leica] IMG: Tree Details
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri Sep 5 21:20:13 2008

Jim Nichols offered:

>>Several viewers commented on the "nice" tree that I recently removed from
my backyard.  While I don't usually want to burden the lists with details, I
don't want people to think I remove trees without good cause. The three
images below show the problems that caught me by surprise, and led to the
decision to remove the tree.<<<<<<

Hi Jim,

Well the whiners and bitchers have never had a limb from a 100 year old Oak
as big as anyone has ever seen break off in a wind storm and crash through a
neighbors' house!

That's all it took to cut the rest of it down before the next storm dropped
the remaining part, still huge, on our place. When the arborist came to
check it out to see if we could save it by removing some of the upper
branches we were told it should come down as soon as possible due to
discovered rot throughout much of the main limbs.

Did we feel bad about it coming down, sure! Heck we'd lived 25 years of it's
100 years, loved the shade in the summer, hated raking the leaves in the
fall.

But you know what? Now it's gone there's a big hole in the sky where it's
beautiful leafy branches spread out. Today we feel a kind of loss of a
friend when we look up and it's not there. Yea I know that'll sound stupid
to some.

But do you know what? I don't give a flying hoop in hell how they feel!

Oh and in case some dim-light says anything about cutting down trees? How
many do this?

We moved in here June 1981 and we've bought a live Christmas tree about
eight feet tall each year since. Bring it in the house, decorate it and keep
the huge root ball damp while it sits in a 16X20 photo tray full of water.
Good secondary use for the tray. :-)

Then the boys give me a hand on New Years Day morning and we plant it
somewhere around the house as a remembrance of what a wonderful Christmas we
enjoyed.

Yep today we've got lots of really big Christmas trees including the first
as a towering tree higher than the roof of the house each decorated with
wonderful memories! :-)

Ted

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at bellsouth.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] IMG: Tree Details)