Subject: [Leica] Fakes
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Tue Aug 12 18:06:27 2008

Hi Tina. No offence meant. I think that there are much more significant
issue regarding China and the Olympics than the opening spectacle. Those
issues don't belong in this forum though. Personally, I think that the
opening ceremony was amazing entertainment. I meant to draw a parallel
between many other huge budget entertainment spectacles and the opening
ceremony. Using actors with dubbed or altered soundtracks and computer
enhanced graphics are very common, as you know.
To be entirely objective, the ticket allocation percentages are set by the
IOC. I think that China is now using volunteers to fill some seats that have
been not taken up after allocation. They are quite distinctive as yellow
shirted cheer squads. Heck if I was there, I'd happily go along and cheer
for anyone to get to see the events for free. Do you remember Athens in 2004
where many stands were largely deserted, except for the high profile events?
Better to have some more atmosphere, I think. If you have ever watched the
Academy awards show you probably know about seat fillers!

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/