Subject: [Leica] Leica Camera Solms: serious decline in sales
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Tue Aug 12 16:00:54 2008

They need to broaden their market, get more people to buy their products.
 Most folks have gone to low cost production to widen market share through
price.  For Leica, they need to go the route of the luxury goods market to
keep their cachet.  Absolutely the best quality, and service.  They need to
revive their old program of refurbishing old cameras to new specs; just much
faster turn around and far better communication.
Why should the independents get all the business for recovering old cameras.
 What about repair of old rangefinders that have gone dim.

You just can not depend on your old customers to buy five new lenses every
year, especially when your new offerings aren't much superior to lenses from
the sixties that we already own.  The offerings through the nineties got
many of us to upgrade to faster, sharper, less flare. For a 35 F2.5 I
already have two Canon's, a Nikon, and a Leica or two.

What would sell a few lenses?  How about a new Noctilux?  How about a new 24
at F2?  If they come up with a full frame M9 then they will have another
couple of good years as most of us relinquish our M8's to secondary status
mostly due to high ISO performance issues.  The new models from Nikon and
Canon are phenomenal at 3200 to 6400 ISO.