Subject: [Leica] Leica Camera Solms: serious decline in sales
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Tue Aug 12 18:09:15 2008

Don.. I hear you.... and to a great degree, I agree.

Let's consider the 24/2.....  If you had a digital camera that could perform
at ASA 6400..... why do you need an 24mm F2 lens?  DOF is basically the same
as an F2.8....

This is precisely the problem that my Nikon D3 Buddy has.. why does he need
fast lenses when all he has to do is to up the ASA.......  so he buys F2.8
lenses.

Us film types would welcome a 24/2,,,,,   but the M8+/M9/M9+, if the low
light performance is good, why bother?

Ditto a new Nocti..... it is the signature "look" of this lens that has
everyone going nuts, not necessarily the F1 factor.....  a new lens would
have a different look.....

So, by offering bad low light performance there is a market for fast lenses,
but improve the performance of the body, and the revenue stream goes down.

Certainly a problem for our Elf friends......

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

What would sell a few lenses?  How about a new Noctilux?  How about a new 24
at F2?  If they come up with a full frame M9 then they will have another
couple of good years as most of us relinquish our M8's to secondary status
mostly due to high ISO performance issues.  The new models from Nikon and
Canon are phenomenal at 3200 to 6400 ISO.

Message from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Leica Camera Solms: serious decline in sales)