Subject: [Leica] Experience with Apple?
From: melnyk at msu.edu (Steven A. Melnyk)
Date: Tue Aug 5 19:12:46 2008

I have lived in both environments -- Mac and Windows. I have also been
a long term user of both systems, including Vista 64 bit.  I am also
someone who views computers as tools.  Here is my take on things.  If
you want to play games, use the PC. If you want to write, I prefer MS
Office 2008 for the Mac over Office 2007 for Windows.  The Mac version
is easier to use - it does not represent the dramatic transition
observed in the Windows version.  If you want to do statistics, Mac
(better memory management - I use STATA).  If you want to do picture
editing, go with the Mac.  First reason is Aperture -- a great program
to use and well worth it for most users.  i don't need Photoshop since
Aperture meets most of my needs.  OS X is also better for certain
uses.  First, I have fewer problems in configuring network printers
for it; I also find that it is an easier system for the Internet and
for communications.  It also less likely to crash. I leave my Mac on
all the time.  Also remember that OS X is based on Unix.  If you feel
comfortable with UNIX commands, you can always work directly with UNIX
using Terminal.

Final observation.  I work with a lot of memory and large amounts of
harddisk space (my new Mac Pro has 4 harddisks, representing a total
of 3 TB storage).  I use it for statistical and graphical analysis.
With the Mac, I have no problems addressing more than 3 GB of RAM. To
do so under Vista requires that I use Vista 64 Bit.  Now, there is a
small problem.  With Vista, you can only address 3 GB RAM.  With Vista
64 Bit, I have found that a number of programs do not work with it.
Nota Bene (a word processor for scholars) does not.  I have an HP
color Laserjet 2840 multifunction printer (it contains color printer,
scanner, and fax).  Guess what. Under Vista 64 Bit, there is no driver
except for the universal driver. What this means is that my color
multifunction printer is nothing more than a monochrome printer.

Like others have recommended, try both out.  I use both (in fact, I
was one of the first IBM PC users at Michigan State University).  But,
if pushed to pick one, I would pick the Mac. The system does not get
in the way of my work and that is the ultimate test for me of any
system.

Steven A. Melnyk
Michigan State University