Subject: [Leica] Experience with Apple?
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Tue Aug 5 18:48:40 2008

Lluis, like Tina I have had PCs for a long time and can't get used to using
a Mac. My wife has a Macbook for its small size for travelling. It is mainly
used for internet and mail and keeping music and snapshots. It has a nice
bright and clear screen. After twelve months of part time use of that one
her next laptop will be a PC again. She can't get used to doing everything
differently either.
I think you want a desktop computer, not a laptop, don't you? You want a
good fast processor, a big hard drive, lots of memory and a good screen if
you work a lot with photo editing, of course.
I suggest that you go to a Mac dealer and look and try for yourself. See if
the operation makes sense for you. Everyone has different opinions and Mac
users especially are normally enthusiastic. You do see a lot of complaints
about Vista on-line. You see a lot of complaints about everything on-line!
It does take some adjusting after XP but you should be able to do everything
on Vista that you did on XP. Sometimes you need to update the programs or
the drivers for devices used with the computer (like scanners, printers
etc). I have had no problems with two Vista machines I have helped with.
Make a list of what you want to do with your computer and see what you need
to do that on a Mac. Try a Mac for yourself and ask lots of questions at the
dealer.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/

-----Original Message-----:05
To: Leica Users Group
Subject: RE: [Leica] Experience with Apple?

At 08:50 PM 8/5/2008, you wrote:
>Hi, Luis
>
>Wish I could offer some technical insight.  I suspect it is a question of
>what you are used to.  I had a PC built for Photoshop and it works well.

I'm also on the other side of the fence.  I've always used PC's and
have never had a problem.  My new Dell laptop is blazingly fast with
PSCS3 and Lightroom and it's so easy to use.  I had to use a Mac on
one project and it nearly drove me crazy.  I could never find
anything or figure out how to do anything.  I'm sure that's just
because I'm used to PC's, but if I you were, I'd try one before I
bought it.  Many of my e-mail list members have been complaining a
lot about the newest Mac's breaking down and crashing on a regular
basis.  They all advise to be sure to buy Apple Care if you get a Mac.

I'm sure the Macnuts will disagree, but I wouldn't want to try to
convert everything I've got hooked up to my Windows XP to a Mac (or to
Vista!)

Tina

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com