Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica d700 shipping (or so they say)
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Jul 31 20:43:07 2008

There is so much Nikon AI and AF glass selling used for peanuts its not even
funny.

I was looking at the Pulitzer prize book today tomorrow I might pick it up
used for 15 bucks.
Two years in a row in the 60s it was won with a 105 2.5 Nikkor

And the last year Leica won it it was with a Nikor lens.

Yes I meant 6400 not 64,0000 ISO.
That fast things would turn in side out and go back in time.

The
Nikon 14mm - 24mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S Wide-Angle Zoom-Nikkor Lens for Digital
SLR Cameras, U.S.A. Warranty.
$1,549.95
(At Adorama)

With a D3 or D700
Would be the combo to beat.
Its a monster though. Would be hard to sneak into the movies.

I'd try to get that lens with the camera if I could swing it and or
Start saving for it immediately if not sooner.

Beans and rice!

I'd love to be shooting full frame with my Leica M glass!

Lets gang together and not let nikon get way with the FX terminology
nonsense.
They did not invent the 24x36 format film or digital.

As a matter of fact they were late coming to it.
Starting off with 34x24 with their first bodies in the 30's I think.

mark@rabinergroup.com
Mark William Rabiner

> From: Michael Eric Berube <pj@GoodPhotos.com>
> Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 21:57:11 -0400
> To: <lug@leica-users.org>
> Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica d700 shipping (or so they say)
>
> I got my Leica D700 yesterday. Only a 24/2.8 and 50/1.8 remain in my
> stable for "FX" format (36X24) now, so I'll be using the camera with my
> DX lenses for a while in DX 'crop mode'.
> Interestingly in 5MP DX 'crop' mode, it is much more like using an RF
> camera because there is a frame in the middle of the VF that represents
> the 100% DX image crop lines...just like with an M.
> Even at 5.1MP the 6400 ISO is insanely more detailed and noise/grain
> free than any other camera I've ever used...film or digital. Except for
> the heavy noise above 400ISO, my former Leica D2h was just fine for all
> the weddings I shot with it even at lowly 4MP. Noiseless 5MP images
> should be more than enough to make a really nice 16X24 prints.
>
> IN trying all of my lenses I happily report that the Sigma 10-20 works
> in FX mode just peachy from 14-20mm (and in DX perfectly throughout of
> course.) The Sigma 18-50/2.8 vignettes throughout as does the Sigma
> 17-70/2.8-4.5, 50-150/2.8 and the Nikkor DX10.5/2.8 of course.  I may
> end up with a 24-70/2.8 in my bag again. I loved the Sigma EX 24-70/2.8
> that lived on my Leica F100 most of the time. That particular Sigma is
> not HSM (AFs) but it costs ~$450 while the much better built Nikkor
> 24-70/2.8 with the AFs is $1700. No doubt the Nikkor would be 'better'
> but, I'm not sure it would be a whole $1250 'better' and I still need to
> get a new SB900 too!
>
> If only I had become a dentist, lawyer or surgeon instead of a wedding
> photographer...then I'd be able to afford all the gear I really want!
> :)
>
> Carpe lumen,
> Michael Eric Berube
> GoodPhotos.com