Subject: gas prices (WAS: [Leica] IMG: PAW 29 (ric))
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sun Jul 27 21:22:19 2008

Doug is right, it is the change that matters more. While in the US it
has gone from $2 to $4, here in Spain a price of a liter of unleaded
has gone from around 1.10 EUR to 1.30 EUR during the past year. A
substantial increase to be sure, but far from dramatic. This is
because 2/3 of the price at the pump is excise tax (varies a bit from
country to country, can be as much as 80% in some places), so it is
only the remaining 1/3 that is affected by the oil price; and because
the oil price is denominated in USD, and the dollar has fallen against
the Euro during the past year, the price of a barrel in EUR has not
increased as much as it has in dollars.

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain