Subject: [Leica] 50 Meg Kodak sensor - Megapixel Overkill!!
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Jul 16 14:38:43 2008

Megapixel Overkill!!
Dpreview has announced a thing where they will be telling you the thing they
are calling "Pixel Density" * for all new digital cameras and backs coming
out.
Because even with these guys all you see easily up front is the MG megapixel
number - as if that's what defines a device.

Which is like saying in the film world my Olympus Pen F half frame is better
than your Leica M full frame became mine comes packed with a pro pack of
Plus X
and you're shooting Tri X.
Nope.

Cramming pixel grabbers or slow film rez together is great in a pinch but in
the end what's going to have more effect is acreage acreage acreage.
The next format up.
The combination of these two things combined in digital could be called PD.
The Heartbreak of PD; Pixel Density.
Which is what DP Dpreview is calling it.
So mind your PD's on your DP.
And expect the same with the LL Luminous Landscape and all similar
pretenders.

In the past year we've heard tell on DP & LL of many a pocket pixel grabber
which has upped its MP count on its latest incarnation and downed its
quality.
Noise! I say with a capital N!!.
MUSH! I say to you!

BIGGER NUMBERS! Says their marketing departments.

So if the medium format backs are 40 or 50 or 60 MPs I'm not sweating it.
I have prints I carry around which are printed at such low resolutions that
I've had to resolve not to tell anyone what those numbers are. Not even
myself. If I remembered I'd have to kill myself.

I'll need a side by side billboard to billboard comparison with Leitz
binoculars to see in the real world what these numbers might really mean. By
the side of the road. With birds tweeting.
What they may mean is SHOOT LARGE FORMAT.
Larger than medium format.
You know; swings and tilts. Dark cloth.

In the end what applies to film seems to also apply to digital.

For any job the best camera is the heaviest camera you can carry.
When you get home: Tiger Balm.

They same dumbness which makes people think a 12mp point and shoot compares
with a 12mp DSLR with a sensor size 6 times physically bigger also applies
to high end medium format work.

That fact that a sensor is out now which really is about the same size as
645 is the big news.
A shame those PR people blew it by blurring it a bit too much as its not
quite the same.
And when something is not the same. Its not the same.

So you'd NOT say "finally a true 645 sensor"
You'd say' Finally a sensors which is virtually 645!
Then you are not lying. And you're covering your but.

"darned close to 645!" today only! For you only!

* Pixel Density: when Moore is less
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0807/08070301pixeldensity.asp

mark@rabinergroup.com
Mark William Rabiner