Subject: [Leica] I left my Leica on a train
From: photobynelsch at gmail.com (Bill Nelsch)
Date: Tue Jul 15 16:37:49 2008

In 1971, after graduating college, my first ex wife and I were doing the
grand tour of Europe (on $5 a day no less - per person) and we were on the
train from Brindisi to Milan.  We determined that there was a more direct
train on the next track over so we gathered our luggage and got on the
faster train.  As it was pulling out of the station, I realized that my
Leicaflex and my M3 (as well as all of the film shot to that point) was on
overhead rack on the train back in the station.  I vividly remember looking
out the rear window of the departing train with the worst feeling ever.  We
got off at the next station and without understanding a single word of
Italian and with the Police not understanding a single word of a frantic
American, they escorted me on the later train and there it was - right where
I left it.   We were late but we made it to Milan quite relieved.

Bill in Denver