Subject: Are UV Filters Needed for Proper Exposure on the Water? [was Re: [Leica] Ah! Back to the Great Filter Dispute!]
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Jul 2 12:45:05 2008

For what you are looking for I'd put a polarizing filter on.
Not using it at full strength - otherwise it can make such water shots quite
boring. (why take all the dazzle out?) - lead like.

To me the main thing is sky control. Keeping the sky down. All kinds of ways
of doing that in B&W. But with color and or digital about the only way is a
polarizer. A circular one. Circles are great.
Old Leica glass was made for polarizer use with neat turner built into the
lens shade.
That's R glass which does not concern us any more as they are on the way
out.
Use of a polarizers is such fun you're really hands on in real time
controlling the look of an image on the groundglass.
And in the print the effect seems even more worthwhile than you thought it
was going to be.

mark@rabinergroup.com
Mark William Rabiner