Subject: [Leica] Another first..Slide film
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sun Jun 29 11:33:50 2008

Specifically which images do you feel are underexposed?

Keeping in mind that the M6 has a spot meter whose circular spot size is
about 1/3 the height of the frame, in the middle...... of the lens in use...
not the whole RF, just the VF area of the 35mm frame lines.....

Spot meters are not so easy to use without thought..... you have to
purposefully point the metering area at the "middle gray" area... then
recompose to shoot.  The center of the frame is not always middle gray nor
is middle gray area always  in the center of the frame....

If you are consistently 1/2 stop off on ALL your images, then adjust the ASA
to compensate.  Either your lab is processing off center or your meter is
measuring off center.  Either is OK, and is (probably) not worth fixing...
LF and especially B+W  photographers do it all the time....

However, if some of your shots are spot on, and others are off....try to
figure what you did to meter the image.... then, very clinically, diagnose
the image density to see if you measured wrong....did you point at the wrong
area?  Was the "middle grey" of the center part of your image always OK, but
the other areas were  off?  Keep in mind that is the average of the light
areas in the middle of the image that count.....average being the operative
word.....  Look at your failures as images as well... just because the image
is not what you want does not mean that you can not learn from it.....

Your images, to me, and assuming you did not PS them at all, seem like the
problem is as I first described.... you are pointing the  camera at the
image you want, metering, and shooting.. no re-composition....  See the
image of the Girl on the couch.....Girl outdoors at Chipotle.......Diana
cameras stacked up......

The outside picture of the Guy against the beat up garage door is just
fine.. but the lighting was very even across the scene....
Ditto the staircase with the writing on the steps.....

Why did the window shot work?  Because the brightness of the window light
mixed with the darkness of the staircase to give you  the right AVERAGE
light.....
Ditto the door in the garage....

Manual Metering is not easy.  It is why AE cameras have lots of metering
modes..... unfortunately, you have to learn each one on your own to manually
meter....

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net