Subject: [Leica] any dentists here?
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Thu Jun 19 14:23:05 2008

On Jun 19, 2008, at 12:56 PM, Phil Swango wrote:

> Vick Ko wrote:
> - take x-ray, says that it is infection, now recommend root canal.
> I'm
> concerned that the root canal means redoing the inlay
>
> I'd much rather spend the money on an 80mm Summilux-R.
>
> What do you dentists think - can I "wait and see" on the tooth
> situation
> and the infection goes away?
> ===============================
>
> Hi Vick.  I'm a dentist, although my career has been more in
> research (NIH)
> than clinical practice.  Sorry, but there's no way you can safely
> ignore an
> infected tooth.  They *never* heal without intervention, and when the
> infection spreads there are important organs (like the brain) in the
> neighborhood (read more here: http://tinyurl.com/6dwuyq) .  In the
> past year
> or so there have been two deaths reported in children whose dental
> infections were neglected.  I can't address the issue of the inlay
> needing
> to be replaced -- if it can be removed without damage or distortion
> it might
> be recemented,  Your dentist will have to be the judge.

as a physician and patient,  I can only share what my dentist has done
for me...he followed x-rays and clinical status...

Plan was : if there are no complaints of pain or a loose tooth, do an
x-ray, then a follow-up x-ray in 3-6 months...no pain, no looseness,
no progression of destruction on the x-rays...all is good...

and if pain, looseness, or x-ray destructive  progression occurred,
then it was time to act.

Steve