Subject: [Leica] I never wanted to be famous by Steve Barbour
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Wed Jun 18 08:44:32 2008

On Jun 17, 2008, at 2:47 PM, Lottermoser George wrote:
> [...]
> in the upper left; and the the recto pages holding mostly full
> bleed, black and white photographs of children from infants to
> teens; occasionally including parents, nurses and or doctors.
>
> Each extremely intimate and brutally honest photograph confronts you
> with a reality which usually only family and medical professionals
> experience. In this way one could compare the images to those
> brought back from wars and other tragedies. Steve puts you there
> because he was there; one hundred percent present; next to the bed;
> inches away from a very young suffering person; sometimes laughing;
> sometimes sleeping; sometimes not even appearing ill. Yet, you know
> they are. You can feel, hear and even smell the hospital within
> these pages. You can feel the intense worry of the families; the
> waiting for good news or bad; the fear and the hope. Most of all you
> can feel the tenacity of these young people and the force of will to
> survive. Even as I write these words my eyes begin to water again.
>
> Obviously Steve feels intense simpatico with these children,
> families and medical staff members. He has deep access to their
> world as well as broad understanding of their conditions. Many
> doctors more than likely feel similarly. Few have the ability, drive
> and compassion to turn those feelings into poignant, near perfect
> compositions in shades of grey and then arrange them in sequence to
> form a book which leaves one speechless.
>
> Steve asked me to comment on this book at least a dozen times. How
> can one comment when one is left speechless? You have to see this
> book. More than once. No words can describe its effect on your
> emotions.
>
> I have many books by many photographers on my shelves. I have more
> or less stopped buying photography books. I keep looking at them at
> the bookstores and when recommended on line. And I generally decide,
> "You don't need another book of beautiful photographs; rather, you
> need to go out and make beautiful photographs." This book is
> different because I cannot make these photographs. You cannot make
> these photographs. Only Dr. Steve Barbour can make these photographs
> and arrange them in this book. And that, my friends, makes this book
> very rare indeed.
>
> Steve and I had a few email conversations before the book was
> published. I felt that more verbal information about the children,
> their conditions, their outcomes, etc. may give it a broader
> audience appeal for publishers. I still think that may be the case.
> However, "I never wanted to be famous" stands, as it is, a perfect,
> lovingly created expression from the unique perspective of a very
> talented documentary photographer, who also happens to be a
> pediatrician specializing in infectious diseases.
>
> I consider it an honor to know you through this forum Steve.
>
> For the rest of you - if you haven't procured your copy - don't put
> it off another day. This one = must have.

so  George,  you liked it...

now I'm the one  left speechless, with tears.  From our conversation,
I knew that my book moved you , that you would find the words to say
it so eloquently, so poetically,  has touched me...

you said things that I felt, but I could not say...

I think the children in the book are touched and pleased...some who
are gone are honored, the kids who are here have told me they are
proud...

thank you George,

Steve