Subject: [Leica] I never wanted to be famous by Steve Barbour
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Tue Jun 17 14:47:17 2008

"I never wanted to be famous" by Steve Barbour, a self published
blurb book, arrived in my mail box many weeks ago. The day it arrived
I immediately opened it and went right to the photographs. By page 17
my eyes were full of tears and blurring the images. I closed the
book. Not opening it again for a few days. I wanted the right time to
truly take it in. When I did I again went directly to the photographs
(not reading the Forward by Steve or the Preface by Ted Grant). The
book feels serious, with its verso pages in black, punctuated only a
with a name or two in a white san serif type face in the upper left;
and the the recto pages holding mostly full bleed, black and white
photographs of children from infants to teens; occasionally including
parents, nurses and or doctors.

Each extremely intimate and brutally honest photograph confronts you
with a reality which usually only family and medical professionals
experience. In this way one could compare the images to those brought
back from wars and other tragedies. Steve puts you there because he
was there; one hundred percent present; next to the bed; inches away
from a very young suffering person; sometimes laughing; sometimes
sleeping; sometimes not even appearing ill. Yet, you know they are.
You can feel, hear and even smell the hospital within these pages.
You can feel the intense worry of the families; the waiting for good
news or bad; the fear and the hope. Most of all you can feel the
tenacity of these young people and the force of will to survive. Even
as I write these words my eyes begin to water again.

Obviously Steve feels intense simpatico with these children, families
and medical staff members. He has deep access to their world as well
as broad understanding of their conditions. Many doctors more than
likely feel similarly. Few have the ability, drive and compassion to
turn those feelings into poignant, near perfect compositions in
shades of grey and then arrange them in sequence to form a book which
leaves one speechless.

Steve asked me to comment on this book at least a dozen times. How
can one comment when one is left speechless? You have to see this
book. More than once. No words can describe its effect on your emotions.

I have many books by many photographers on my shelves. I have more or
less stopped buying photography books. I keep looking at them at the
bookstores and when recommended on line. And I generally decide, "You
don't need another book of beautiful photographs; rather, you need to
go out and make beautiful photographs." This book is different
because I cannot make these photographs. You cannot make these
photographs. Only Dr. Steve Barbour can make these photographs and
arrange them in this book. And that, my friends, makes this book very
rare indeed.

Steve and I had a few email conversations before the book was
published. I felt that more verbal information about the children,
their conditions, their outcomes, etc. may give it a broader audience
appeal for publishers. I still think that may be the case. However,
"I never wanted to be famous" stands, as it is, a perfect, lovingly
created expression from the unique perspective of a very talented
documentary photographer, who also happens to be a pediatrician
specializing in infectious diseases.

I consider it an honor to know you through this forum Steve.

For the rest of you - if you haven't procured your copy - don't put
it off another day. This one = must have.

Fond regards,
George
george@imagist.com
www.imagist.com