Subject: [Leica] How IR filters affect M8 B&W
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue Jun 17 15:44:28 2008

At 5:02 PM -0500 6/17/08, Lottermoser George wrote:
>What you say makes sense.
>Yet, at the same time, it would seem that being digital data, and
>with all the manipulation that can be achieved in post processing
>software, that some of those manipulations could also be achieved in
>firmware.
>I don't know enough about software/firmware to make any claims in
>these regards.
>
>Fond regards,
>George
>george@imagist.com
>www.imagist.com
>http://www.imagist.com/blog
>Picture A Week - www.imagist.com/paw_07

The basic point is that the spectral information is divided into
three classes, R, G and B and collected in buckets. After that there
are only limited means of separating the photons (and translated
charge values) and their qualities into their smaller divisions, and
that only by comparing what's in one bucket to what's in the adjacent
buckets. Software/firmware can do no more. Putting filters in front
of the lens whether IR cut or red makes the sorting of information by
software a lot easier, as certain variables get reduced in value.

--

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] How IR filters affect M8 B&W)
Message from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] How IR filters affect M8 B&W)
Message from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] How IR filters affect M8 B&W)