Subject: [Leica] How IR filters affect M8 B&W
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue Jun 17 11:34:30 2008

>I'd assume that the firmware setting of whether the IR filter is on
>or off may have an effect on the camera interpolation as well - yes?
>no?
>
>Fond regards,
>George
>george@imagist.com
>www.imagist.com
>http://www.imagist.com/blog
>Picture A Week - www.imagist.com/paw_07

George, the only things that the firmware setting does is compensate
for cyan drift and vignetting. It can't compensate for spectral
changes.

So setting the firmware 'incorrectly' will cause vignetting oddities
which will be readily evident for lenses which show significant
vignetting, and slight tonal difference due to spectral response
differences in the corners, again with wide angle lenses, but not
other effects.

Just as too high IR response due to shooting without an IR filter
cannot be corrected completely in post-processing in colour shots,
neither can tonal changes such as Peter has shown be compensated for
in firmware, which is of course a type of post processing.

BTW, I've tried some of the same kind of shots as Peter, and gotten
exactly the same results to my satisfaction. They weren't really
processed for posting, but gave me enough to cause me to leave the IR
blocking filter on unless I really want the high-red/IR look. You can
enhance it substantially by using an orange, or even red filter.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] How IR filters affect M8 B&W)