Subject: [Leica] M8 and the WAR now diopter lenses
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Sat Jun 14 15:32:47 2008

>ELPRO's?
>
>Them's LEICA TALK.
>But more than one element.
>
>"Leica ELPRO 2 close focus attachment"
>

>mark@rabinergroup.com
>Mark William Rabiner

ELPRO's are achromats. They are 'close up lenses' with two elements,
one positive and one negative. Like Nikon's 3D to 6D, or Canon's 250D
and 500D.

The Rollei thing would be the opposite. They would be a filter with a
negative diopter grind to correct for a specific film's peak
sensitivity.

Wandering a bit further off topic (but then, this IS the LUG...)
slight positive and negative diopters are very useful in large format
photography if your lens coverage isn't quite right.

Just screw in a +1 diopter, and what you are doing is basically
shortening the total focal length (which is how the close-up thing
works), so now your 4x5 lens has a slightly wider field of view. Stop
down a bit more, and everything works fine. I always carry something
like this when I take a light field camera out and have a big gap to
the next shorter focal length.

A negative diopter (which is a lot rarer) would increase the focal
length a bit, but that isn't as important in LF photography, because
cropping a little gets you the same thing, and usually with better
quality.