Subject: [Leica] Good old censorship
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Thu Jun 12 18:10:33 2008

Phil it is a frustrating collateral effect of increased security policy.
Whatever the legal position, the practical effect is that the photographer
can be harassed or intimidated. Sometimes by people with genuine concern,
whether rational or not, sometimes by petty officials that may be
overstepping their authority. If the attention involves law enforcement
people then you lose whatever the actual legal position. Protesting is not
likely to gain their sympathy. I hope those law suits improve awareness.
Recently I was directed by a railway employee to stop taking photos (of
clouds!) from a railway station. I protested but complied. I later found
their policy did permit me to do this and complained to that government
department. My complaint was ignored with no response at all.
Don't bother moving Down Under for greater photographer freedom. Come for
the food, beer, scenery and senoritas instead.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/