Subject: [Leica] M8 and the WAR
From: adrian.weale at btinternet.com (Adrian Weale)
Date: Wed Jun 11 09:03:17 2008

All very true.  When I went out to Iraq in 2003 (as a soldier rather than a
photographer) I took my new Nikon D100 DSLR and my Leica M6.  The M6
performed perfectly but the D100 was very erratic - I assume because of the
heat as it worked perfectly back in Europe when I returned there.  Amongst
the issue which plagued it in Iraq were frequent failures of the shutter to
fire at all when I pressed the release, and occasional failures of the
camera to record anything when the shutter had apparently fired.  Conditions
out there are very demanding on all kinds of equipment and anything not
built to cope will struggle.  Clearly the Nikon D100 wasn't up to it, and
that may be the case for the M8 too.

Adrian

Frank Fillipone wrote:

The article represents one person's experience in one environment.  It is a
harsh environment ( War PJ ) with significant demands on performance ( not
pixels, but reliability, bad heat and care issues,  and speed of shooting)
above and beyond the "normal" use from Doctors, Lawyers, and Indian Chiefs
or normal Joe's).  Yet the guy has several good comments to make in the
overall use of the M8.

Replies: Reply from leicachris at worldnet.att.net (Chris Williams) ([Leica] Re:M8 and the WAR)
Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] M8 and the WAR)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] M8 and the WAR)