Subject: [Leica] OT: Sigma DP1 review
From: leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Tue May 20 12:22:21 2008

Agree with Nathan.

The DP1 was announced as a pocket camera with a DSLR quality sensor - which
made it interesting for many of us - but, in it's price category, it can
neither compete with any newer dslr in terms of picture quality nor with any
newer mid/upperclass point&shooter in terms of handling and speed. Not to
mention a lens that is "prone to flare" and "quite heavy vignetting at F4"
(I would have thought they had chosen the relatively slow aperture just to
get rid of these issues). Considering the fact dpreview is giving a "Highly
Recommended" in at least every second of it's reviews (if not more), then
the "Above Average" they gave the DP1 must be hinting a barrel burst.

Like Steve, I also consider the E-420 w/Pancake as a much better solution
for a compact digital camera - even if it's slightly bigger - but for a bit
more than half of the DP1 price, and with other advantages like exchangeable
lens and Live-View.

Didier

PS: If slowness is nice, then my Petri Color 35, Kiev 4AM and Mamiya 645 do
fit my slowness needs perfectly enough!... :-)

Message from msadat at gmail.com (mehrdad) ([Leica] OT: Sigma DP1 review)
Message from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan) ([Leica] OT: Sigma DP1 review)