Subject: [Leica] Oh god, I found another KE-7A kit, far more economical, ...
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Wed May 14 22:59:37 2008

Hi Vic, I guess that we have said all of the things about collecting cameras
vs using cameras previously. This one is clearly for collecting. Do you have
ambitions of keeping it long term or trying to resell for a profit later?
What's the process there? Authenticate it, assess current value, then
preserve it carefully? That means not use it at all, I think.
Seems like its only attraction is its rarity/potential monetary value?

My two cents is spend the money on a rarity that is usable. You get the
exclusivity AND the pictures. Having said that, my M7, which is currently
for sale is one of only one hundred (betriebsk) but I used it for a couple
of hundred films over a year. It went from mint to burnished finish with the
finish worn completely through under the film advance lever. Despite no
scratches or dents whatsoever and even the original plastic on the base
plate, that non-mint condition means that it did go down in value as a
consequence. I don't regret one dollar of that though.
I'm not particularly a fan of the Noctis but I bet they don't diminish in
value the longer you keep them and unless you scratch the glass, I suspect
that finish wear is not as big an issue as on one of those ultra rare early
bodies?? Actually as a film body investment, I'd buy a black paint mint MP.
But I think it needs to stay mint or otherwise be very worn, no middle
ground. Me, I'd use it a LOT and wear it down ;-)

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/